Covid-19 numbers in the South Hams fall again and Derriford starts vaccinating
Covid-19 numbers in the South Hams have dropped by 26 per cent in two weeks.
Devon County Councillor Roger Croad shared the latest numbers today, Friday, 11 December. Between 19-25 November there were 49 laboratory-confirmed Covid-19 cases in the South Hams, but this has dropped to 36 cases between 3-9 December.
So, currently in the South Hams, confirmed cases per 100,000 is 41.4, compared to 75.8 in Devon, 46.5 in Plymouth and 151.6 in England as a whole.
Tuesday, December 8, also marked the first day that Derriford Hospital became one of the first in the country to start administering the new vaccine.
According to the Government website, the priority list for the vaccine will be:
1. residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
2. all those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers
3. all those 75 years of age and over
4. all those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals
5. all those 65 years of age and over
6. all individuals aged 16 years to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality
7. all those 60 years of age and over
8. all those 55 years of age and over
9. all those 50 years of age and over
It is estimated that taken together, these groups represent around 99 per cent of preventable mortality from COVID-19.
Cllr Croad said: "Carry on doing what you're doing. Think local, stay local, buy local. Vaccination news is welcomed, but it will take a monumental effort to get the vaccine to you, so please keep taking all the precautions necessary to keep the virus spread down."
We don't put any of our South Hams Journal content behind a paywall, so you can always find our news free of charge. So if you would like to support us, you can buy us a coffee here! Thank you!
If you want to find out about advertising with us, or you have a story you would like to tell us about, email email@example.com or call 07904 048997.